9 Things in May | Monthly Wrap-Up

I'm really getting the hang of this blogging thing guys. I don't think that I've posted this many consecutive blog posts since I first created this blog, but I just want to prove to my readers and myself that I can and will prioritize this in my life because this is what I like to do. Anyway, I cannot believe that May is over. It seems like just yesterday I was stressing over which school I would attend in the fall, but I won't lie it feels good to put everything behind me and leave high school with a diploma in hand. May honestly caps off some of the busiest months in my life. March, April, and May tend to be super busy, but thankfully I managed to pull out only 9 things from this past month. 

1 | College Decision

I finally decided on where I'll attend college - Washington and Lee University. Not only did this college give me the Johnson scholarship which is the equivalent of a full ride, but it also gave me an opportunity to study journalism at a liberal arts institution. All and all it was a near perfect match for me and my educational needs. My only concern is the location, but hopefully, my summer immersion will give me a better chance of seeing the beauty of living in a small college town.

2 | Honors' Day


Call me a weirdo, but this is actually one of my favorite days of the year. Everyone gets dressed up and celebrates all of the great things students in our school have done. This one was extra bittersweet since it was Upper School Dean's last one and yet another senior last.

3 | AP Tests

This year I took a whopping 6 AP tests, and if you're calling me crazy I'd agree with you. For those who have taken APs I took enough to finish all of my stickers in the AP number booklet and require more. For those wondering, I took: AP Biology, AP English Literature, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art 2D, AP US Government, and AP Computer Science Principles. Despite the heavy workload I thoroughly enjoyed my classes and was happy I didn't take the year off. Let's pray for good results because I'd really like to get out of some of my college prereqs.

4 | Senior Dinner


My grade definitely never really grew super close even with it being our senior year, but senior dinner really helped change us for the better. We actually had a great time in each other's company and had a great time. I think this was honestly the first time that we had all been together outside of school, and I feel like I speak for the class when I say that was our mistake. We definitely shouldn't have waited so late, but better late than never.

5 | Graduation



This is the day I've been looking forward too for my entire "schooled" life. Looking back to some of my oldest journals I've seen it appear multiple times on wishlists. It's the day that most kids dream of because it truly is a catalyst for something more. I don't want to go too far into it here on this blog post though because I created a video and full write up in a different blog post which you can check out here, but I say all this to say that I'm grateful for my high school years and cannot wait to see what the future holds.

6 | W&L Summer Program

Washington and Lee University's AIM summer program was a major draw for me when I decided to attend the university. I couldn't wait to get a hang of the college life before college started and also get a start at finding potential mentors. Now that school is officially out I have exactly 1 week before I spend 5 weeks in Lexington, VA and I'm stoked. Let's just hope that I pack enough things for my dorm since it'll be my space for the next 5 weeks.

7 | New Guilty Pleasure

This month, I finally decided to try out the show Lucifer. Now before anyone says anything, I will say that I probably had the same qualms as anyone else who heard about a TV show following the Devil. As a Christian that didn't sit well with me, since I definitely monitor what I choose to watch. Yet, I won't lie this show surprised me. It focuses more on a character misunderstood rather than an evil being. I also won't lie, I'm currently in the middle of season 3....after starting a week ago. Feel free to judge me because at this point I deserve it and honestly don't care because it's a great show.

8 | Sweet, Sweet, Summertime!

This may sound crazy, but this is the first "true" break I've had since middle school. Between summer reading and wanting to get ahead on college supplements, my summers have always been chock full, yet now I have nearly 3 months to fill how I please. I will say that 5 weeks of my summer will be filled by the above summer program, but the rest will be left to me. I'm so excited to have a little more time to exercise and get back into prime-exercising-shape. I also can't wait to spend more time with my friends (both from my middle and high school years) and just recharge before college!

9 | Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Lastly, but certainly not least I got my wisdom teeth surgically removed this past week and it was about as fun as you may expect. Unlike the funny videos that litter YouTube I wasn't given laughing gas because my teeth were impacted meaning they would never break through the surface. Instead, I was put under anesthesia while the procedure was done. This may seem like an odd thing to include in a monthly wrap-up, but I don't remember ever seeing people who were put under for their wisdom teeth extractions and I want to be an example for others. It is a normal thing and with the right doctor it can run super smoothly. I won't lie I was super scared about the whole thing because one of my friends had a horrible experience that ended with her getting an infection, but thankfully everything went smoothly for me and I'm healing up nicely. What surprised me the most was how quickly I got over eating soup and ice cream. Ask any kid under 5 what they would love to eat every day and it's probably some sort of sweet like ice cream or cake, and I thought that I'd be okay with my diet being primarily soft sweet foods, but that grew old fast. Nobody really warns you about all the savory foods you'll wish you could eat after getting your wisdom teeth out, but let this be a warning to you now haha.

How was your May?


33 comments

  1. How exciting! Congrats on graduating and deciding on where you want to go to college. I know you'll do great. Enjoy every minute of the experience, it all goes so quickly!

    XO,
    Jalisa
    THE STYLE CONTOUR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jalissa! I'm super excited to see what the future holds and hope to really make the most of my college years.

      xx Avalon

      Delete
  2. Congrats on graduating high school and on finding and being accepted to such a perfect fit college! I remember being so excited for the summer between high school and college, because you're about to start fresh and truly don't have any work to prep for the upcoming academic year. I hope you have an amazing summer and live it up! // I've heard mixed reviews about Lucifer and haven't tried it for myself yet, but I might give it a try since it's on Netflix :P -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on graduating!! And the college you picked sounds amazing!!

    Jennifer
    Effortlessly Sophisticated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jennifer! I'm definitely excited to be a general. :)

      xx Avalon

      Delete
  4. Congrats on graduation!
    My experience with Wisdom Teeth Extraction was horrible ! i'm glad it went so well for you :)

    https://www.clairetalksbeauty.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! And I'm so happy mine went by relatively smoothly especially since my friend had a dry socket, but I hate to hear that yours was horrible.

      xx Avalon

      Delete
  5. Congrats on graduating :)
    My may went like too fast! I can't believe it's june already.

    Laura / https://www.laustworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it either! Thanks so much and I hope you are having a great week Luna!

      xx Avalon

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your Johnson scholarship!! it's such a big sign of relief to have your tuition paid in full and more!! It'll be exciting to see what college life holds for you :) I can't wait to get on with my summertime activities! And it's good to hear your wisdom teeth extraction came out fine, as a hygienist I see a fair share of people who had bad experiences but some who were fine through it all. Unfortunately that's how it is sometimes, and who you see!

    Geraldine | https://geraldinetalks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm super excited to see what the future holds and am so happy that my wisdom teeth extractions went well because I know my fair share of people who had issues with the procedure. But like you said that's how it goes unfortunately. Thanks for adding to the conversation!

      xx Avalon

      Delete
  7. Congrats on graduating school! Such a milestone. What are your reservations about your college's location?

    I also went under to get all four teeth extracted ! They also hadn't surfaced yet however I didn't want to wait until it was impacting my other teeth. Don't remember a whole lot from that period apart from binge watching tv.

    Nat • dignifiable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that! I had always envisioned myself going to a college that was located in the city, but had a true campus (think your Vanderbilt or SMU). I got into a lot of places that would've offered me that, but they were much more expensive. Anyway, W&L is located in a small town that is an hour away from the closest city which in this case is Charlottesville and 3 hours away from a major city (Washington D.C.). As an aspiring journalist I thought I would've benefited from being in a bigger city, but I think there are perks to both.

      I also agree that it is best to get your wisdom teeth out before they impact your other teeth. Especially if you've already had braces - don't want all of that money to go to waste.

      xx Avalon

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much Bexa! That means alot.

    xx Avalon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds crazy busy!!! Congrats on graduating, it’s so exciting. I can’t believe it’s been a whole year since I did myself. Have a great June xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And I agree that is crazy! Time doesn't wait for any man. You blink and its gone. I hope you have a great June too!

      xx Avalon

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on graduating and wish you a lot success at college. But first enjoy in your summer. This was very interesting for reading. Thank you for sharing.

    http://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com/2019/06/clarins-multi-active-day-cream-gentle_5.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your graduation! I hope you enjoy your summer orientation at college :)

    I'm regularly put under a GA for dental work because I'm phobic - or I have IV sedation, they've not yet got me down the scale to gas and air. I hear you about soft foods getting old fast - I had 3 months where I couldn't bite down or chew cuz I had a chipped front tooth and a root canal making it all too painful. What got me through was scrambled eggs with refried beans and a ton of melted cheese that I could mash on the roof of my mouth with my tongue XD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations towards graduating high school and being accepting into a university. I remember the feeling I had right before going to college and it's one in-explainable. Going to college is the opportunity to find yourself career wise and socially, make the most of this adventure. Now, I feel like I'm the only one who still has her wisdom teeth. I remember when my sister had her wisdom teeth removed and she was in pain for a week. Have fun in Virginia Avalon!


    Natonya | https://justnatonya.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh the wisdom tooth removal can't be fun! I'm yet to watch Lucifer as well, but it looks amazing!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wishing you double congrats on your graduation and getting accepted in the college of your liking. Journalism sounds interesting. Hmmm Lucifer? Okay now will have to check that show. I don't know I never felt like watching it. But will give it a try. Take care and all the very best to you Avalon. :-)

    Via | http://glossnglitters.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on choosing your college, such a big decision! And major congrats on the full scholarship too! Sounds like May was an eventful month for you x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. Exciting times lies ahead of you dear! Wishing you all the best.
    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this babe.
    Thanks for sharing this babe.

    Much Love,
    BLOG | INSTAGRAM | YOUTUBE

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow what an exciting may you had ♡ beautiful post my dear !


    Jadieegosh   Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on choosing your college and major congrats on the getting that full scholarship girl! I liked that show excited about season 5.
    Dheera
    www.thestylepanorama.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on your graduation! I hope you spend this summer doing everything you couldn't because of all the college prep and academic responsibilities! I went under for my wisdom teeth extraction too. I knocked out so quickly I dont even remeber getting knocked out!😆

    www.sundaydahlias.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like you have had a great May! Congratulations on your graduation and honours day! You look so pretty ❤️ I hope you have an awesome summer xx
    Lauren | www.bournemouthgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aww, this post had me reminiscent of my high school days. The last few months are definitely the busiest and filled with the opportunity to make great memories. I like how you took advantage of that and participated in what you could. Congratulations on graduating and ALSO for deciding on a school. That must be a huge relief now. I think college can be one of the most exciting places to be (um, and the most expensive); you learn things about yourself, who you want to be, what you want to do, etc! Okay, this is becoming a long comment lol.
    I tried watching Lucifer! It just never stuck for me, maybe I should give it another try. And as for binge watching it, girl, do you! You deserve it after working so hard in school lol.

    Cheers to your next chapter doll!! :D Nothing but great things in your future!

    xx, Des | https://www.itsbetterinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on committing to Washington and Lee University! It is so cool that you got to go with a full ride. This will be an exciting experience for you. Wow, you're amazing for taking 6 AP exams!! You're such a hard worker - I have full faith in your ability :). This summer sounds exciting with the orientation and programs. Oh man, I have been putting off my wisdom teeth extraction but it's something we have to do if it's getting in the way. This is the perfect time to have it extracted! Sending you LOTS of warm wishes!!!!!

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hope you're having a great summer.

      Delete
  24. Congratulations on graduating and for choosing your college! I've heard fees are really high in America so it is amazing that you've bagged a scholarship!! I went to university in a small town and it is actually really great. It's easier to make friends and feels more like a community, especially when there is a campus. In the UK a lot of unis don't have a campus so there is no real uni spirit if that makes sense? Anyway, I'm sure you'll love it and the course sounds like a lot of fun

    Jenny | Local Leo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. College here is super expensive which is why I feel so blessed to have my scholarship, and I can't wait to see my college's community.

      - Avalon

      Delete