January Thoughts

Firstly, HAPPY NEW YEAR! Honestly, can't believe this will be my first post in 2020, but we made it guys! Since I put my Things in December post in my 2019 in review, I thought that today would be a great time to talk about my expectations for the coming month and just all-around thoughts of the day.

1 | Winter Break


It's so odd being on break and having absolutely nothing to do. On one hand, it's incredibly liberating. But on the other hand for a person like me who is lowkey a busy body, it is the worst kind of hell. How can I be productive when I have no direction? The only answer...throw myself into building back my YouTube channel and blog. I know that reveals more about my failure to fully recharge and relax when given the time to do so, but I also think that the first step to fixing any problem is admitting that it exists. Plus I like to think that this isn't a "waste" of my time. This is something that I enjoy doing and more importantly, it's something that allows me to document my thoughts over a course of time. I feel worst when I look back and have nothing to look back at, and I'm super excited to see what the year holds. On a completely different note, I can't ignore all the fun things I was able to get in during this break. I was able to see Knives Out and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I also got to get a massage which was super relaxing. More importantly (to me at least) I was able to get my fill of Moe's burritos which I am unable to have when in Lexvegas.

2 | Missing my Boy


I won't lie I didn't think that I was going to miss the company of my boyfriend that much*, but now I have a newfound respect for those in long-distance relationships. I've known for a while that I probably wouldn't be able to do a long-distance relationship, and even now after being away from each other for a month I know that I would prefer to avoid that. It's a weird feeling wanting something that you can't have. It hits you in waves, small at first, larger other times, but always there gnawing on you. And maybe I'm being melodramatic, but it's interesting seeing how attached we can get to people we grow accustom to being around.

(*= Don't get me wrong, I knew that I would miss him quite a bit because Thanksgiving break was only a week and I definitely missed him during that short time. I just thought that the holiday season and being with my family would distract me from fully feeling this way.)

3 | Hard Semester

I've tried to mentally prepare myself for the terror that will be this semester. As of now, I will be taking Econ 100, Acct. 100, Jour 201, and German 262, and while I'm slightly scared I also know that God has given me the strength to not only allow me to get this far but to reach the finish line. With God on my side, there is absolutely nothing I cannot do. Plus, I've already bought my Economics textbook so, at least for that class, I'm in for the long haul now haha.

4 | Heading Back to W&L

Despite, the first point about not fully taking advantage of the relaxation part of my winter break. I'm still not ready to head back. I want to see all of my friends again, but I don't want to do the work just yet. I still want to live on the cloud nine of last semester's grades. However, I also know that I could be

5 | Missing my Family


I've said for awhile, that I knew homesickness would hit me harder second semester because I would've grown accustom to being around my family again, just to have to leave all over again. Today is my last full day in Alabama before I head back to VA, so it'll be interesting to see whether those feelings manifest like I expect them too. Yet, I will also say that I am not speaking that over myself. Not that I'm not allowed to feel those feelings, but I don't want to allow those feelings to prevent me from enjoying my school year.

6 | 21 Days of Prayer and Fasting

Every January (and August) my home church asks the church body to come together for 21 days to pray every morning. At the start of the year, my church also includes fasting as a way to dedicate one's life at the start of the year. Since, I go to college out of state I will only be able to attend one of the prayer services in person, but I'm excited to still participate online and through fasting while I'm away. I'm also excited to see and hear about the amazing things God will do during this time. This year I decided I was going to fast Twitter, Instagram, and secular music. I also would like to fast bread, but I'm not sure how possible that will be when I get back to college since the eating options are few. If not, I think I will end up fasting lunch instead, but stay tuned for more details in a recap post that will be up later this month.

What are some things you are looking forward to in January?



37 comments

  1. I hope your January goes well and you don't feel too homesick back at school. Good luck with your fast x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sophie! It's gone pretty well so far, only have 1 more week left!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  2. The 21 days of prayer and fasting sounds like a great thing to do.

    Jennifer
    Effortlessly Sophisticated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! It's been a great time that has already allowed me to see so many things in my life.

      - Avalon

      Delete
  3. I'm quite similar - sometimes when I'm lazing around for too long I feel super unproductive. But I must admit - I really enjoyed and needed it this Christmas. Also feel you on missing your boyfriend - 4 weeks is a long time! The longest I've spent away from my boyfriend in 5 years is actually 2 weeks and that was a killer ha

    Happy new year!

    http://skylish.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! That's crazy! So happy to hear you had a great Christmas Kemi!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  4. I know I remember feeling like that when I was in school. The program I went to was pretty intense and when it was over or on breaks I was like what?? This was pre blogging vlogging. Now I don't have that problem lol there is not enough time in the day! And yes I can understand missing your BF. And economics and ACCT together is a lot but you will get through it!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man I totally feel that! I ended up dropping Accounting because I got off the waitlist for another class I wanted, but this year looks like it'll be pretty dang great so I'm excited.

      - Avalon

      Delete
  5. Happy New year! I'm also on a 21 day prayer and fasting journey.

    Madeline
    madelinewilsonojo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Madeline! Hope your 21 day fast and prayer is going well!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  6. I remember these feelings when I was in college! I had a long distance relationship (US -- Germany) and it was really hard but let me tell you: If I can do it so CAN YOU!
    Happy Wednesay, babe!
    xoxo, Vanessa
    www.WhatWouldVWear.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I can't even imagine that Vanessa! Hope you have a great week!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  7. I'm intrigued the 21 days of prayer and fasting. Anyway, have a fab day dear!

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been an interesting time so far and I haven't regretted a day of it even when it got hard.

      - Avalon

      Delete
  8. Good luck in school! And hope you have a successful 2020.

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great January thoughts here! I definitely have to do better at fasting too. I started swimming lessons on Monday and I look forward to that and a new job by the grace of God.

    https://missymayification.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds amazing! I wish you all the best!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year! I definitely understand your feelings about missing your boyfriend! I was in a long distance relationship with my now husband, and it was so hard but definitely worth it! Hope you have a wonderful January! :)

    http://roadesque.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie! I can't wait to see what happens, but it has been nice to be back.

      - Avalon

      Delete
  11. Good luck with your challenging semester, take it one task at a time -- you got this!
    xo Annie
    New England Romance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allie! That's such a great reminder that I hope to keep in mind in the future.

      - Avalon

      Delete
  12. happy new year! Good luck with all the challenges January is bringing you, and the fast! I hope your studies go well too :)

    Hope that you are having a great week :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mica! I wish the same to you!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  13. Aww I'm sorry you're missing your partner! I also have no idea how people manage long-term relationships; they must be so difficult at times! Happy New Year :)

    aglassofice.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabrielle! And I totally understand, it is a weird situation.

      - Avalon

      Delete
  14. Happy new year darling, all the best with all your plans and the fasting!


    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lovely! Hope you have a great week!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  15. Happy New Year! Sounds like you have a lot to look forward to. Good luck with all of your classes! I'm sure you'll do great in them. It is great that you're participating with the 21 days of prayer. have a great January!

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! I'm excited to see what this school year will hold.

      - Avalon

      Delete
  16. Wishing you a wonderful year ahead! I hope your semester goes well xx

    Violethollow.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Violet! Hope you have a great week!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  17. Good luck on your semester darling! Wishing you a great week!

    xoxo Layla Rosita | www.laylarosita.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Layla! It's been pretty great so far!

      - Avalon

      Delete

  18. Awesome expected post you shared here, I will require it many times, and here the outstanding selection of topic also makes me more jolly, please hope more blog post we get from you. Thanks advances!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will look forward to Chinese New Year.I likedesigner backpacks

    ReplyDelete