A Clean Slate | My Challenge to You for the New Year



Happy New Year! I can't believe we've hit 2018. To be totally honest I was feeling a bit crummy, but I wasn't about to allow myself to forgo posting on the first day of the year. 

For many of us, the first day of the new year is a symbol for a new page, a clean slate. That is why I want to issue a challenge to you, in the hope that this year will be your best one yet. :)

1 | This Year is What You Make of It


First and foremost this year is what you make it. I'm tired of hearing your excuses. I'm tired of hearing about what is preventing you from achieving your goals. Instead of throwing a pity party for one, redirect that energy into your work, or into your sport, and actively work towards achieving your goals. Write them down! The power of a new year isn't that we get to change our calendars, it's that for one day of the year we all believe that change is possible. For one day we all believe that we have the power to take control of our destinies and actually make change happen. I don't care if the world could burn tomorrow because of North Korea or Trump or ISIS, and maybe that is me being naive, but I'm tired of allowing things that are meant to divide prevent me from going about my life. In the end, your mentality is everything. It will color every single decision that you make an either enable or prevent you from pursuing your dreams. Choose hope. Choose to not let the magic to end, even after we settle back into our routines and the glitter has been cleaned off times square.

2 | Change Starts With YOU



Somehow we've gotten it all wrong. The magic of the New Year isn't in the fact that we get to change our calendars or take a cute picture on Instagram. Every day isn't promised, so we have to stop taking for granted the life that we have for like James 4:14 (NIV) states
"Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."
Even if you don't believe in the power of the Bible you can probably agree that life is short. This isn't meant to scare you or reaffirm your belief in your own mortality. If anything this is meant to show that you should use this year for something. We have the power to enact change on this Earth. We saw it last year when people stood in solidarity with others, and while change doesn't have to happen in a monumental way it can change the way you use your 24 hours each day. We can use our time for the better by working to change the lives of others less fortunate than ourselves. Every day that we wake up we are given an opportunity to find another life to touch. Whether that be by paying for the coffee in front of us or holding the door open for the couple behind you. Find a way to impact a life this year, because, in the end, it will find a way to impact you.

3| Be Appreciative of Those Around You



This year choose to appreciate the people you surround yourself with. If there's one thing that the events of last year taught me, it's that life is precious. Never ever take it for granted because life can be snatched up in a second.  Appreciate those around you and show that you care for them because nobody cares what you have to say until they know that you care about them. Even if that means allowing them to win that dumb argument or letting go of the baggage you've carried for years. Choose to smile even when it hurts. Choose to laugh at your granddad's corny jokes. Choose to hug your parents and friends tight. Choose to tell them that you love them because you don't want to let life past you by. Most of all though to choose to cherish them because they matter.

4| Small Things Matter

Wiffle Gifs
This year choose to not get caught up in the big picture. One thing my mother has told me repeatedly over the years is to not rush growing up. Sometimes we're so interested in reaching the destination we forget to enjoy the sites on the way. I hate how cheesy it sounds, but the journey truly is more important than the destination, because without the journey the destination doesn't matter. The journey builds character. The journey allows you to see life for what it is. Life is beautiful. Life can make you cry, laugh, and smile all within the span of a day. With that in mind enjoy your cheat day. Watch that movie and go out on that date. Don't forget why you're working. Enjoy yourself, because like I said before you only have one life to live.


41 comments

  1. I agree with small things matter and taking one step at a time. Nothing happens overnight and hard work pays off!! I wish you all the best for 2018 :)

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I'm so happy that you agree because in the end Rome wasn't built in a day so you can't expect for your dreams to be achieved in a day. Hope you have an amazing 2018!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  2. Great post, Happy New Year! :)
    Magda

    https://www.gloryofthesnow.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Magda! Wishing you a happy New Year!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  3. I agree, change starts with you and everything is up to you. You can blame others!
    Have an amazing new year!

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you agreed! Hope you have a great year too!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  4. Great post! Best wishes for the New Year!

    xx

    Linda from Beauty And Tips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed my post! Wishing you all the best this year!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  5. All of these are great points. I'm really looking forward to awesome things this year :)

    Beauty & Colour | Vegan Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you so much Caitlin, I'm so happy you enjoyed! I can't wait to see what the year brings.

      - Avalon

      Delete
  6. You are spot on dear with all your observations. It's true that the new year is more about mindset than the date. Happy new year!

    Madeline

    http://www.madelinewilsonojo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you agree Madeline, attitude truly is everything! Hope you have a great new year!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  7. Agreed on all counts, Avalon! Especially on appreciation. If you aren't grateful for the people in your life then what are you grateful for?!

    xx www.qustomquinns.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! I couldn't say it any better myself. This year is truly the time for us to draw closer to those around us. Hope you have a great year!!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  8. These are all such important things to remember daily and to set the tone for a new year. It can be so easy to get overwhelmed by the every day that we neglect to truly appreciate our loved ones and to live in the moment. Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    THE STYLE CONTOUR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jalisa for your wonderful note! I totally agree, you have to live in the moment or you will miss out on the wonderful things that life brings us. Hope you have an amazing year!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  9. Avalon, this was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Your mother is so right. I didn't learn that lesson until much later in life. I now enjoy every single day, hour and minute. I don't wait for birthdays, Christmas etc. Everyday is a celebration. Things move so fast now and each one of us needs to slow down and enjoy life more. I am saving this post, because you are fabulous!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree and couldn't have put it better myself. Every year I hope that things will slow down, but as I grow up I see that life doesn't slow down for everyone. Hope you have a great new year!

      Delete
  10. One thing I've learned over the course of my short 22 years of existence, is that sometimes we can be so focused on succeeding, that we live out our lives to the end, simply waiting for that moment when things will finally become 'amazing'. but by then, we've lived through everything and have nothing more to live. our years are always going to be a bittersweet mix of good and bad, that's why we always have to be happy with what we have, otherwise, we'll never be satisfied.

    http://cynicalduchess.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never thought about that. Thank you so much for adding that to the conversation, because that has always been a fear of mine. Especially since I tend to try and rush through to make it to the finish line, but as I age it's harder to see where the finish line is since life still moves. I agree that it is super important to stop and not only be proud of how far you've come, but also to savor where you are going, because you won't be there forever.

      Delete
  11. Change totally starts with you- YES! Happy New Year!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy that you agree Ashley. Hope that you have an amazing new year too!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  12. Happy New year!
    kisses
    MARINA
    http://www.sweetlavanda.it

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great thoughts to start the New Year!

    Thanks for sharing them!

    Andrea

    Seize your Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed the Andrea! Hope you have a great new year!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  14. Great things to ponder.
    I love the change starts with you.

    Much Love,
    Jane | The Bandwagon Chic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! So happy you enjoyed my content. I really do believe that though because you can't wait on somebody else to enact the change you want to see on this earth. There always has to be a first.

      - Avalon

      Delete
  15. Happy new year! Wonderful post :)

    Laura
    https://pinkfrenzymissl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laura! So happy you enjoyed my content! Hope you have a great new year too!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  16. I too agree that small matters a lot :) Nice post! Have a great week ahead!
    Beauty and Fashion Freaks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this post. Your Mother sounds like a wise woman, that is very good advice. I think you made great points here and this was a really motivating post to read. I hope you have an excellent 2018! :)

    Samio x
    http://www.samio.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Samio! I will say that my mom is (even if I don't tell her as much as I probably should). So happy you enjoyed reading and wish you an amazing 2018!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  18. Great post! And good luck with your new year's resolution!

    Best - http://izabiela.pl/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Izabela, so happy you enjoyed this! Hope you reach all of your goals this year!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  19. I love love love the advice from your mother. I do agree with her. I saw this last year and definitely plan on continuing with it this year. Great pointers!

    https://www.missymayification.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy that you agree with her! I will definitely tell her haha. Happy you enjoyed the post and hope you have a great new year!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  20. Thanks for sharing girl! You're right, enjoy the journey. I need to remember this more often!


    x,
    S | Je M'appelle Chanel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy that you took something from my post hope you have a great New Year!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  21. Thank you so much Eleine! So happy you enjoyed. :)

    - Avalon

    ReplyDelete