why i declined my admission into harvard...


This past winter I got the call that most high schools seniors could only dream of. A likely call - my application had just been read and I had gotten the rubber stamp - I got in. Even now I wish I had the footage of that moment, but like all great moments, it couldn't have been planned. It was unexpected in all of the best ways. I still remember falling to the ground in my happiness, the tears running down my cheeks as my parents asked what was wrong. This was the break I had been waiting for. This for all intents and purposes felt like my next step and at that moment it was. I didn't care about the possible costs or details, those things I thought would fall into place. If I was meant to be there that God would make a way. Fast forward to Ivy Day and unlike all the other "normal" Harvard hopefuls wondering whether they'd find there opening. I knew. I knew that I had already gotten into the #1 school in America - if not the world, and I was ecstatic to see the official notification. I had worked towards this my entire life so I'd be lying if I said that I hated to see the fruits of my labor.

Yet, deep down I knew that my bigger question was financial aid. Living in a family of 6, I knew that I couldn't afford to pay anywhere near the costs of tuition and board. I knew that the odds weren't necessarily in my favor considering my family's financial situation, but I also knew that where there's a will there's a way. So I waited for my financial award and unsurprisingly I was greeted with the costs of an Ivy education. As you may expect I appealed the decision and saw a slight increase in how much I was given, but nowhere near what was needed in order for me to go. At this point, I looked for last-minute scholarships and hoped that some of the bigger scholarships I applied for would pan out, but they didn't.

Even now while reflecting on that fateful decision I sometimes wonder about the what ifs. What if I had chosen to go to Harvard? Would funding have appeared had I taken a step of faith? But as more days past I've realized that I'm actually super excited to go to Washington and Lee. This is a place that I have visited multiple times and have loved. I may not be going to the ivy league but I'm definitely not settling for a school that is any less rigorous education-wise.

Have you ever questioned the decision you've made? How did you come to terms with what you chose?





19 comments

  1. I want a lot of strength and wisdom to handle every situation. Always follow your heart, have a great day!

    Blog Paisagem de Janela
    www.paisagemdejanela.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing achievement by itself! However tuition costs for Harvard are actually insane... And there are always other opportunities to pursue, especially that won't result in so much debt.
    Nat • dignifiable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Nat! Happy you understand.

      - Avalon

      Delete
  3. That's amazing that you got it. College is so expensive, but as long as you're happy where you are now is all that matters.

    Jennifer
    Effortlessly Sophisticated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jennifer! It took me a while to reach that point, but I'm happy with where I am. Thanks for reading.

      - Avalon

      Delete
  4. It's awesome that you got in, but such a shame you couldn't accept the place as you didn't have the funds - it sounds like you are happy with your other choice though, and will be better budget-wise!

    Hope that your week is going well :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post!
    thanks for your share
    luxhairshop.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATS on getting in to Harvard - that is a huge accomplishment. I'm sorry you ended up declining their offer but I know you're bound for greatness no matter what school you go to! Keep on grinding!

    Eena ☼ cabin twenty-four

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is great that you got Harvard. If you got it that mean that you can got everything. I wish you a lot success in your future education.

    New Post - http://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com/2019/09/glamglow-thirstymud-hydrating-treatment_5.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a beautiful read dear. You definitely put things in perspective. Anyway, wishing you all the best in your college education!
    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jessica! Happy you enjoyed reading it!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  9. I hate that you had to decline your admission because of the fees, but I love that you didn't turn it into something negative. Instead, you saw the good in the situation - getting into another school you love and which has rigorous standards too. I absolutely admire your attitude. I'm sure you'll excel in life, with or without Harvard. I wish you all the best!

    By the way, getting that acceptance was already an achievement! :)

    Julie | Darkbluejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you so much Julie! I'm hoping for the same. :)

      - Avalon

      Delete
  10. Than you so much Julie! I'm hoping for the same.I likecustom sweatshirts

    ReplyDelete