This Year in Review | 2019

This year has been crazy, and while I spent the majority of it away from this blog, I thought that the end of the year would be a great time to review the year, so instead of doing a Things in December I decided to do a year in review. Looking back I can't believe that it's only been 12 months. The personal growth I've experienced living in college and the friends I've made while away from home have been so amazing.

1 | I Got Into HARVARD


I got into all of the colleges I applied two except for 2, and that included getting into Harvard. I've already spoken about this achievement, and even though I decided against attending Harvard in the fall, I will never forget the happiness I felt when I found out.

2| I Chose a College


After receiving the Johnson scholarship at W&L, on May 1 I decided to make it official and attend the college. Like all college experiences, it was not without its ups and downs, but now I can honestly say that I'm happy I made this decision. It may have not been my "best" option on paper, but now I can see that it was the best fit for me. 

3 | I Graduated High School

Besides choosing a college I also graduated from high school. Just like my first semester of college, it wasn't without its ups and downs, but I really enjoyed all the teachers and friends I came in contact with at my high school.








4 | I went to AIM




Not going to lie I wasn't expecting to meet my future best friends at this summer program. Yet, here I am writing about how I met most of my current friends at this 5-week experience. Heck, I met my future boyfriend at this program. I got my first "official" taste of anchoring in a studio through this program and got to recognize that this is what I want to do. Besides the academic and leadership side of this program, I got to have fun with people who would become my good friends through day trips to Lynchburg and swimming at Goshen Pass.

5 | I Went to Jamaica



I may have mentioned this earlier, but I spent a week in Jamaica shortly after I got back from the AIM program. My mom is from Jamaica so I also got to visit my extended family while I was there. The sun, the beaches, and the food really helped nourish my soul, and remembering what once was always makes me a little adder when I think of what I eat at my college's dining hall hahah.

6  | I Moved into College


Like the crazy gal I am, I moved in the day before my birthday on August 25. Most hearing that would think that was the recipe for homesickness at the start of the year, but thankfully I was able to hold off those thoughts for a few more months. College was a crazy time that I'm only now starting to unpack, but I'm so excited to see what the future holds.

7 | I Went to Baltimore



My school offers students the chance to take pre-orientation trips which would allow them to move in a week earlier and travel to different locations to either do volunteer work, trek trails or get acquainted to campus. I chose to go on the trip to Baltimore which focused on educational policy and the effects of race and socioeconomic status on one's chances of graduating from secondary institutions. Not only was this a mind-opening experience, but it really helped me realize on a smaller scale how systemic some of America's problems are. One road in Baltimore has homes below the poverty line on one side and homes owned by millionaires on the other. The wealth disparities were crazy and the effects are very visible in Baltimore.

Image8 | I Began Anchoring

At the start of the school year, I auditioned to become an anchor for my school's news broadcast and was offered the anchor position. This experience has been everything I wanted and more. And I cannot wait to (hopefully) do it all over again next semester!

9 | I Went to DC



Those closest to me know that DC is one of my favorite cities in America (it's a toss up between DC and Dallas). Being in such close proximity to our nation's capitol has allowed me to experience so many things from seeing the Newseum before it closed to trying out a fast ramen place (because we all know that isn't available in Lexvegas haha).  But the best part was going with my friends and getting to explore the city from a slightly different perspective.

10 | I Met a Boy


Hit em with a whoaaaa. I think this tops the list of things I did NOT expect to happen in my first semester, but as God keeps showing me. There are so many things you cannot plan for. It's been so much fun taking on life with this boy and I can't wait to see all the crazy things we do next semester.







11 | I Went to Some Dances


I learned pretty quickly that W&L knows how to party. There was a homecoming dance and a more formal Mock Con gala that talk more about here. Both of these dances were so fun and such a welcome reprieve from schoolwork. I love getting dressed up for things and this was another chance to let loose and do so. Plus it forced me to live a little which is always nice!

12 | I Got All A's!!

I can't think of any other way to cap off an amazing year than to mention that I ended the year with a 3.975 GPA this semester (which is actually slightly off because I don't get credit for one of my classes until I take a trip in February that's part of the class), but I digress. I know that next semester will be significantly harder because I will be switching up the style of classes that I'm taking (namely taking econ and accounting instead of traditional liberal arts lit classes), but I'm excited for the challenge. Plus, I will have friends in my classes so I can't wait for frantic midnight study sessions.

What was your favorite memory from 2019?





60 comments

  1. Ahh, you're so inspiring! Reading all your achievements is really cool. And I love your genuine smile and how sincere you are. 2020 is gonna be even cooler! Happy holidays!
    xoxo, Vika - https://myvividlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's such high praise Vika! I'm not sure I'm deserving of that, but I'm so happy you enjoyed the post! I hope you have an amazing new year! :)

      - Avalon

      Delete
  2. Wow! You are such an inspiration! You go girl! Wishing you much love and success in 2020!Happy New Year!
    So blessed that we connected through blogging!
    xoxo, Vanessa
    www.WhatWouldVWear.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you so much! I totally agree, I'm so happy we connected through blogging and can't wait to see how our blogs grow in the new year!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, Avalon! What amazing and wonderful achievements you've had this year. :) I wish you nothing but the best for 2020, I am sure that you are going to do amazing things!

    https://www.makelifemarvelous.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That means a lot to me! I can't wait to see what we both do in the coming year!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  4. What!! Congrats on your amazing grades! And also the gig as the anchor for your school, very awesome. Wishing you the best for 2020!!

    Nat • dignifiable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nat! I wish you the same!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  5. Wow, you've done so much this year!! So exciting :)<3
    https://www.simplyavalon.com
    -Izzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Izzy! Looking back I can hardly believe that this all happened in one year because a ton of things have happened!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on getting in to Harvard, starting college and overall having a great year! Hope that next years is as exciting , if not more, for you than 2019. This year I finished my first year of university and it was great!

    Loren | plaidandsugar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Loren! I hope the same and ayyy congrats on finishing out your first year of uni. Here's to finishing the year out strong and reaching the finish line!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  7. You've had an amazing year! let's welcome 202.
    Happy New Year~

    http://www.waitmarinawho.com/2019/12/welcome-2020-things-i-learned-in-my-mid.html
    - Marina W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am Marina! I cannot wait to see what the new year and DECADE holds for everyone!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  8. Wow, such a wonderful and exciting year! Love those photos, Happy New Year ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalia! Hope you have a great New Year too!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  9. What an amazing year full of so many achievements! We might not know each other but I feel so proud of you, and this is only the beginning, because there are many more things in store for you! All the best for you in 2020! ;)

    XO, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Melissa! That means so much to me. I can't wait to see what the next year holds for both of us! :)

      - Avalon

      Delete
  10. Congratulations dear! Happy New Year.

    www.infinitelyposh.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hope you have a great new year and start to the decade too!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Ayyy thank you so much Amy! I can't wait to see what the future hold for both of us and our blogs!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  12. This sounds like an absolutely incredible year! So many amazing academic achievements and so many fun social and travel things too. I hope 2020 is just as amazing x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie! I totally agree! I can't wait to see what the coming year and DECADE holds for the both of us. Hopefully more fun, academic achievements, and travel opportunities!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  13. what an eventful year!
    i don't know the story why you didn't go to Harvard, i'm oddly proud of the fact that you did. as i'm applying to med schools, i try my hardest to tell myself that the school where i'd graduate won't really matter when i'm practicing/working anymore. patients and clients won't be asking you where you graduate, and if they do -- it doesn't really affect how you work.
    all the best in 2020! xx

    lyza, smudgeness.co

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lyza. And I actually made a full post on the whys a month or two ago that you can check out through the link in the post. I totally agree though that while it helps, int he end its the skills that will take you to the next level.

      - Avalon

      Delete
  14. Wow what an amazing year for you! Props to you for getting into Harvard as well!

    https://sundaydahlias.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your 2019 sounds like it was FANTASTIC! I'm so happy for you that you got accepted to freaking HARVARD! But your current college sounds excellent and like it was a great choice for you! The anchoring gig sounds like so much fun and I'm so glad you got to do some fun traveling too! And you and your man friend make a really cute couple! :) I hope 2020 holds even BETTER things for you! (if that's even possible!)

    Emily | https://www.thatweirdgirllife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you so much Emily!! That means a lot! :)

      - Avalon

      Delete
  16. Congratulations on all of your achievements! It sounds like it was an amazing year! I hope you have a great 2020, as well! Happy New Year! :)

    melissakacar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what a year! So many amazing accomplishments! I'm happy for you and I loved reading this, as you're an inspiration. Thank you for sharing!

    xoxo Simone | https://beautymone.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Simone! Here's to an even better 2020.

      - Avalon

      Delete
  18. It sounds like you had an amazing year! I hope 2020 treats you just as great!

    Ashlee | https://www.maybeafterbrunch.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ashlee! Can't wait to see what the new year holds for us!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  19. Wow - you accomplished so much in 2019. Congrats on starting your first year of Undergrad - college is honestly one of the most fun times of your life. Anchoring seems like it would be such a unique experience and I totally agree that DC is one of the coolest places to visit in the States.

    My biggest achievement this year was definitely getting to grad school. Wishing you nothing but success in 2020!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing! CONGRATS!! And thank you so much! I can't wait to see what 2020 holds!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  20. I'm so pleased to hear last year was such a happy and successful one for you! Congrats on getting into Harvard even though you chose not to attend, and I'm happy to hear you've met someone special this past year too! Happy 2020 :)

    aglassofice.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Gabrielle! It was a pretty eventful year! Can't wait to see what'll happen this year!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  21. Happy New Year! Love that 2019 was full of success for you! Congratulations on being accepted to Harvard! It is a huge accomplishment!! I am glad that you were happy with your decision. You've been rocking the year. Keep it up in 2020!

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nancy! I'll definitely try!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  22. Although I just came across your blog today, I'm happy for you as I read about your year in review. You're obviously a brilliant lady! Also, I love your family picture. You have a beautiful family.

    Happy new year to you!

    Julie | Darkbluejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Julie! I'll have to tell them you think that! Hope you have a great new year!

      - Avalon

      Delete
  23. Looks like it's really been a great year)
    Happy new year dear!
    http://www.recklessdiary.ru

    ReplyDelete
  24. Huge congrats dear! Wishing you a more fruitful 2020!
    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Hellen! Happy you enjoyed it!

    - Avalon

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy new year! I just now found your blog today, and I really like it!

    Congratulations on all of the wonderful things you've achieved in 2019, it seems like you had a really lovely year. I hope you have a great 2020 as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! Happy you enjoy my blog. Hope you have a great 2020 too.

      - Avalon

      Delete
  27. Congrats darling! I wish you all the best, happy 2020!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    ReplyDelete
  28. Superb article, man!! you are really included a real advance area of knowledge I expect for may days. Hope you more article on it creates & let us to see.
    After all many thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  29. After reading this post, I am in utter awe of all the amazing things you achieved this year! Getting into Harvard alone is a huge achievement and I am glad to hear you found a university that's the perfect fit for you - I can only imagine it wasn't an easy decision to make. Although there are things I would change, I look back on my university days with fondness, so it's great that you've been enjoying your experience so far. I can't wait to follow your next adventures - hope 2020 treats you well!

    Dominika | Into the Bloom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dominika! It was a crazy year to say the least but we got through it and are better for it.

      - Avalon

      Delete

  30. Superb article, man!! you are really included a real advance area of knowledge I expect for may days. Hope you more article on it creates & let us to see.
    After all many thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I graduated in 2019 and found a job.I likedesigner backpacks

    ReplyDelete